College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Scholarships for Entering Freshmen
When to apply
Oct. 1 – Dec. 1 (year prior to fall entry)
How to apply
- If you haven't yet, create your Net-ID. This is required for your application for scholarships.
- Apply for College of Agriculture and Life Sciences scholarships as well as scholarships specific to your major at the OneApp scholarship portal.
- To be considered for need-based scholarships, file your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), between October 1 and December 1.
- The OneApp scholarship portal allows you to save and update your application as well as search for additional opportunities. Many students will begin their application early and check in multiple times as updates arise. So you may begin your application prior to filing FAFSA or receiving key information knowing you can add it in later.
- Accept admission in a major in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Carry 12 or more credits
Scholarships are awarded based on criteria of each scholarship, plus academic achievement and leadership. If you are a College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, your OneApp will consist of three steps.
- General Application - Questions asked of all Iowa State University students regardless of major.
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Application - Questions unique to only students in our college
- Apply-to Applications - Additional scholarship opportunities presented to you based on your unique qualifications. For example, some majors may have special questions that only students in that major are asked. Horticulture students may be asked what kinds of plants they want to work with or Animal Science students may be asked what species they will specialize in.
Information from any of these steps may be used for the selection of a scholarship. Therefore, it is important to be thorough in your application.
This single application will be used by the selection committee in determining your eligibility for a wealth of scholarships. Please see the full list of available incoming freshman scholarships to see what you will be considered for specifically through the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. If you want a more comprehensive list of awards you could be considered for beyond the college, see iastate.academicworks.com.
First priority scholarships winners will notified in January and February. Additional scholarship winners are notified through late spring.
Award payments are distributed in equal installments at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters and credited to the student’s university account.
Departmental scholarships are also available for most majors. Find the link to the departmental scholarship in your major for application instructions and deadlines.
In addition, a number of third-party scholarship providers offer scholarships intended for students interested in agriculture and life sciences majors at Iowa State and other colleges. These programs may have their own applications, deadlines, selection criteria and other requirements. More information.